Application Systems Design, Development, Training, Support & Support Services
Ready-made Customizable Solutions
Solutions: Page Generators : Category List: Description
Category List generates lists of items belonging to categories defined in the Item Information Dataset (IID). Each time it's invoked a new page is generated using the most current templates and data. Templates are fully customizable.
For online stores/catalogs, where "items" are typically products, "Category List" provides as "Department Item Lists". For other types of businesses, "Category" relates to any logical grouping of items; such as in the Real Estate business, items would be property listings, or "Category" could relate to counties, cities or any other aspects used to organize presentation of the items.
Regardless of the business or industry, Category List provides a top level logical grouping of items with its complement Subcategory List serving to provide a second level logical grouping.
Supported by both GET and POST methods. Input is a valid Category parameter name value pair. Links to Category List are automatically generated by reference with appropriate input parameters by the various JHZ-CS Page Generator Solutions.
Resulting items are grouped by subcategory, sorted alphabetically and formatted using a fully customizable template. Template processing automatically generates links and controls supporting:
- Item Detail links
- Subcategory List links
- Manufacture List links
- Shopping Cart "Add-To-Cart" function links
- Item Search controls w/dynamic parameter setting
- Banner Rotator System markup replaced hyperlinked images
- Item Compare controls
Template processing includes subcategories with named anchor links listed at the top of the page pointing each subcategory group for user click-down. Subcategories group titles are linked to Subcategory List when installed; shown as "view by manufacture" in the illustration above.
Exception processing provides handling of invalid category values being passed as input. When this occurs the "Category Not Found Template" is used generating a list of all valid categories linked to Category List; along with their respective subcategories linked to Subcategory List when it is installed.
- OS: Unix, Linux, Macintosh OS X® and Windows®
- HTTP 1.x with CGI (Common Gateway Interface) PERL 5.x (check with your ISP or Server Administrator; this requirement is typically supported on most systems)
- Optional: SENDMAIL (supported Unix/Linux/OS X platforms), or PERL NET:SMTP (available from CPAN, commonly used on Windows® OS) SMTP installed and configured. This optional requirement supports automatic email notification to the webmaster when execution errors are detected.
- Optional: For configurations using an RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) data source requires a supported RDBMS, the PERL DBI module and the RDBMS specific DBD module to be previously installed and configured
JHZ-CS Solutions are offered exclusively under the terms and conditions of the JHZ-CS Software License Agreement.